Recovery Programs – Hauppauge (631)-729-7104
Recovery programs help people who have a substance addiction beat the dependency and enjoy long-term sobriety. These programs include community-based programs like 12-step meetings, as well as public or government-run drug and alcohol treatment centers that offer inpatient and outpatient addiction rehab services.
Some recovery programs are generalized to treat a large variety of addictions and related issues. Others focus on recovery from an addiction to a specific substance. Sober living facilities are recovery programs that ease the transition from treatment back to “real” life.
The Principles of Effective Treatment
Over the years, experts and researchers have collected information about what makes a recovery program successful. The results of their research have been compiled into 13 tenets that all addiction treatment programs should acknowledge and which should guide programming.
The Principles of Effective Treatment include these five essential ideas:
- Addiction is a highly complex and chronic disease that changes brain function and structure and affects thought and behavior. It’s a treatable disease that can be sent into remission with effective treatment.
- Although many treatment therapies are used during drug and alcohol rehab, no single treatment therapy will work for every individual.
- In addition to medically treating the physical aspect of addiction, a holistic approach that addresses an individual’s various psychological needs and issues must be used to treat the more complex psychological aspects of addiction.
- An individual’s treatment plan must be continually re-evaluated to account for changing and emerging needs.
- Between one-third and one-half of people with an addiction have a co-occurring mental health disorder that must be treated along with the addiction. Treatments for each should be integrated through a collaborative effort across treatment teams.
Addiction Treatment Therapy Models
A quality recovery program will draw on various therapies to address the variety of issues surrounding addiction. Two of the most commonly used and effective therapy models are cognitive-behavioral therapy and motivational interviewing.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy, or CBT, helps patients gain self-awareness surrounding their addiction issues. CBT teaches patients to identify self-destructive attitudes, thoughts, and behaviors and replace them with healthier ways of thinking and behaving. It also provides patients with individualized skills and strategies for identifying and coping with cravings, stress, and triggers.
Motivational interviewing helps patients identify their own personal motivation for wanting to beat an addiction. Motivational interviewing is particularly helpful for resolving a patient’s aversion toward recovery.
Addiction Treatment Therapies
Ongoing research over the years has helped experts develop a large number of therapies that are used in the holistic approach to treating an addiction to drugs or alcohol.
A few of the most popular and effective treatment therapies include:
- Recovery groups. Alcoholics Anonymous, Smart Recovery, and similar peer-recovery groups promote successful long-term abstinence through the benefits of regular interactions with people who have common experiences.Participants share resources and offer support to those in all phases of recovery. They provide a forum that promotes accountability and help those in recovery develop healthy relationships with other non-users. Many recovery groups offer planned outings, activities, and retreats that provide opportunities to socialize with non-using peers and find enjoyment in life without drugs or alcohol.
- Art and music therapy. Art therapy and music therapy promote creative self-expression and communication through creating art and making, listening to, or moving to music. Engaging in creative pursuits helps patients learn new ways of looking at the world and their own lives, and it’s been found to reduce stress and provide healthy ways of expressing emotions and communicating experiences.
- Yoga. Yoga is part exercise and part meditation. It promotes balance, flexibility, and strength of the mind and body though movements that are guided by the breath. Practicing yoga reduces stress, leads to body and mind awareness, and promotes overall good physical and mental health and a healthy lifestyle.
Finding Recovery Programs Treatment Centers
Find the best treatment for you or a loved one at Drug Treatment Centers Hauppauge. For information about drug and alcohol addiction treatment, call (631)-729-7104.